Now that you have all kinds of great digital photos, you may want to create some prints from your collection. Ordering your photos or creating gift items from them is easy to do online, since numerous websites are available to take care of all your processing needs.
Digital Photo Processing Online Options
Clark is a company that began with mail-order photo processing. They've since moved on to digital photo processing online. You can still order mail-in envelopes, so they can develop your traditional film and place the images online. They offer a variety of print options including:
- Single prints in sizes 4x6, 4x5.33, 5x7, 8x10 and wallets
- Photo collages
- Designer photo posters
- Peel and stick posters
The site also offers a peel and stick growth chart complete with photos of your choice of your child. The cost for a single 4x6 print is $0.09. However, they often have special sales on various items, so be sure to check the Special Offers tab.
Shutterfly offers multiple sizes of prints and specialty items like calendars and photo books ready to be personalized with your favorite snapshots. An editorial review at PCMag.com awarded Shutterfly with 4.5 out of 5 stars, pointing to the high quality of photo prints and wall calendars for the high rating. Although prices are a little higher, as PCMag points out, the prints are on higher quality paper and in high resolution. They offer:
- Single prints in sizes 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, wallet, 11x14, 16x20 and 20x30
- Collage posters
- Videograms of the digital photos of your choice
- Canvas prints
- Acrylic prints
Prints start at $0.15 per 4x6, with varying discounts such as free shipping or 30% off specific products. Shutterfly offers a deal where new users can get 50 free 4x6 prints, so try them out, compare with other digital photo printing services and see what you think about the quality.
Snapfish is part of Hewlett Packard and has been in operation since 2004. They started and continue as an online photo services company. The site offers many special photo products, such as throws, jewelry, water bottles and clothing. Printaholic tests each service they review thoroughly. They awarded Snapfish 4.9 out of 5 stars, praising the pricing and the service for the ability to customize orders. Snapfish products include:
- Single prints in 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10
- Pick up in-store at some Walmart, Walgreen's, and Meijer stores (price per print runs more for in-store pickup)
- Collage prints
- Poster prints
- Metallic finish prints
- Mounted prints
The cost for a 4x6 print runs $0.09, or $0.19 and up for in-store pickup. Discount offers include 40% off or discounts for larger batches of prints.
ArtsCow sees itself as an online photo sharing service as well as a print shop and repository. Although they state that they understand that photos are meant to be stored digitally, they also feel it is important to share those photos with others, both online and in print format. The company has an A rating from the Better Business Bureau and an average of 4 out of 5 stars from the Site Jabber review site. Some reviewers felt the quality was lower on ArtsCow prints and this is true. They are known for quick, cheap printing. This is the perfect solution if you need to print a lot of photos to share. If you want the photos to frame and keep for future generations, then ArtsCow may not be the best choice for the project. They offer:
- Single prints in sizes 4x6, 5x7, wallets, 8x10, 11x14, 12x18
- Large number of specialty gift products, such as purses, mugs, buttons and clocks
- Canvas prints
- Shower curtains
The cost for a 4x6 print is $0.08, but ArtsCow offers special discounted items each month including a number of free prints, which can bring the overall cost down. For the best deals check out the special offers page and also check the top bar across the home page for the current featured discount. The color of the bar changes but is easily spotted above the black header at the top of the page.
Wal-Mart Photo Center
The Wal-Mart Photo Center has gone online. Pick up your order at a local store or have it mailed to your home. Select your digital pictures at home, place an order, and avoid the time and expense of shipping. Consumer Search pointed out the positives of one-hour development and pricing of Wal-Mart's photo printing service. However, they do caution that the print quality can vary by location, so be aware and prepared to travel to a different store if you're unhappy with the results from your nearest Wal-Mart. You can choose to order:
- Single prints in 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and wallets
- Collage prints
- One-hour prints
- Photo CDs
- Many photo gift items such as aprons, magnets, coasters, ornaments and blankets
Prints start at $0.09 per 4x6 photo for mail delivery. One-hour processing with pick up in store costs $0.19 per 4x6 print, but you will save on shipping.
Reasons to Use Digital Photo Processing
If you're still on the fence about trying an online photo processing company, here are a few good reasons to give them a shot.
- You can order your prints from the comfort of your own home and have them sent directly to you
- Ordering prints is easier and often less expensive than printing out your photos at home, especially when you factor in the cost of printer ink
- Printing photos can be messy and frustrating, since the ink can smear or smudge before it dries
- Digital photo processing is a great way to get multiple copies of a single image, which is handy when you want to share a family portrait or other important photo
- Ordering a variety of sizes and styles is a nice way to have extra photos on hand for scrapbooking and other photo-based craft projects
Convenient and Fun
Online shopping has become a tremendous convenience for busy people everywhere, and ordering your prints online can be easy and even fun. Sorting through all of your photos to choose the ones you want to make prints from is an enjoyable activity, and receiving your prints when they arrive is exciting. Take advantage of these services and get your photographs delivered right to your door whenever you need them.