So you've got a fancy new photo manipulation program and now you need digital image editing tutorials? If you are new to digital photography and image editing, the process can be a little overwhelming. Today's photo-editing software usually promises the moon in terms of options, but unless you really understand the inner workings of the program you are using you will never be able to scratch the surface of its potential. All major photo-editing programs have numerous things in common, but they also have idiosyncrasies that make them unique enough to be frustrating. This article will introduce you to some great online digital image editing tutorials that provide tips on photo-editing software.
Where to Find Free Digital Image Editing Tutorials
Whether you need to color correct an image, add an abstract filter, replace a background, or convert an image from color to black-and-white or black-and-white to color, these tutorials will help you:
- Cambridge In Colour: This excellent website hosted by Seth McHugh has been a popular Internet destination for budding photographers since 2005. The tutorial page has a little bit of everything for photographers of all skill levels. The basic section deals with color perception, dynamic range, bit depth, image noise, white balance, and more. Photoshop specific tutorials deal with using the levels and curves tools in that program. There is also an advanced section that covers photo stitching and digital panoramas.
- GIMP Guru: This is a site full of free tutorials for the free digital image-editing program GIMP. Topics covered include removing red eye, converting color images to black-and-white, reducing CDC noise, creating a contrast mask, sepia toning, simulating film grain, vignetting, selective colorization, replacing a background or foreground, and much more.
- Digital Imaging Basics: If you are very new to manipulating digital photographs, this is an excellent place to start. This simple site has information on the basics, such as resolution, file size, cropping, resizing, batch processing, removing red eye, and more.
Software Tutorials for Purchase
If you have money to spend, then consider these comprehensive tutorials, which are available for purchase:
- Photo Editor X: Photo Editor X is a downloadable program that has extensive tutorials for the open source photo editor GIMP. More than three hours of tutorial videos are provided along with a 200-page illustrated manual. Photo Editor X comes with a 60-day trial period, so you can try it out and see if it works for you before you commit to purchasing it.
- Yvonne Grubb's Digital Imaging Tutorial: This software contains 32 chapters and more than 70 videos on using Photoshop to edit your images. The videos start simple, with things like viewing and panning your image, then it moves onto more advanced topics like removing unwanted areas in an image and repairing an old image. The software is relatively inexpensive and it also comes with a 60-day money back guarantee so you can try it out before you decide to buy it.
Experiment and See What Works
With so many options available for digital image editing tutorials, you should try several of them to see which ones work best for you. Not every tutorial is likely to answer every question you have, so be patient and explore all your options. Sooner or later you'll find the answer to your question and will be able to manipulate your digital images like a pro.